Saturday, May 14, 2011

Internet Identity Workshop 12: seen by a Tester

A week ago the Internet Identity Workshop 12 took place in the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.
Three days (3-5 May) listening to and discussing the latest trends in Internet Identity protocols, enterprise identity management etc. from a user-centric view.
Boring, no way!!
First of all, it wasn't a normal conference, with fancy presentations and the audience neatly listening and asking questions afterwards.
Nope, this was an unconference, where every day at the beginning the schedule is made of people who want to discuss or present thoughts on user-centric online identities.
This agenda can then be viewed on a big wall in the centre of the conference hall, which I thought was a very good and pragmatic way to schedule the proposed sessions.
Well, time to get dirty I thought, and the first day I already hosted 2 sessions , 1 on security measures for identity protocol flows (always nice to test those :-) ) and also the pros and cons of using OAuth in online banking (you never know in the future).
Very nice sessions where I could discuss my thoughts as a tester with identity experts from different industries, like telco, finance and computer hardware.
However, I wasn't here only to gather info,together with XMLgrrl (the 1 and only :-) ) and the guys from Newcastle Uni. (great to see ya folks!),I did a little PR for UMA, which was very effective, because UMA was also spoken in sessions where UMAnitarians were absent :-).
Next to this, The Newcastle Uni. guys did a kick-ass Ipad(!)demo of their SMART-project. Great stuff to see.

But wait, there is more. I saw sessions about companies wanting to become a relying party, identity-policies between US and Europe, personal data stores, online vaults and many more.
And not to forget the Trust Frameworks, which are being developed for different industries, and have complex flows to test.
For a bloke from Europe, the sessions about NSTIC were very interesting to see: what does the US-government want to do with the trusted identities in cyberspace?
Thanks for the helpful info there guys. It made things clear about how the Americans want to deal with identity in cyberspace, although not every attendee agreed, which made a nice discussion.

I could go on and on about the IIW12, but I want to keep my blogs short.
I had a great time, learned a lot and it's encouraging to see the IIWs are also already taken place in Europe. A great way to stay updated on the work in user-centric identities, which are getting more important every day for everyone involved in internet development..

Any questions about the IIW? Just send me an email or call me.

So, my Silicon Valley Trip (and San Fran ;-) ) was fantastic, let's see where my next adventures will be.
Hmm, perhaps Hawaii??

No comments: